Lance Winslow - picture by Dusty Locke/Special to the Daily News

'Just Do It' Candidate Makes 2nd Council Bid

By Enrique Rivero
Daily News Staff Writer

THOUSAND OAKS - City Council candidate Lance Winslow takes his public service motto from popular culture offered up by the Nike athletic shoe company: "Just do it."

Winslow, one of six candidates vying in the June 6 special election for a vacant council seat, says he doesn't like to waste time on projects, preferring to jump in with both feet and do things himself instead of relying on committees or other helpers.

And if there's a metaphor for his life, it's speed.

"I do like to go fast.  I do like to race motorcycles," said Winslow, 30, who owns The Car Wash Guys, a mobile carwash business he started when he was a teenager.  "I just like to do things.  I don't like to sit around and be bored."

He'll try anything, even if it means getting knocked down in the process - and he admits he's taken some  mighty big wallops over the years.

"Don't give up and you can do anything.   Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't," Winslow said.  "You miss 1200 percent of the shots that you don't take.  Or you can just do it - that's why I like Nike, that's how I live my life, 'Just do it.'"

Other candidates in the coming election are engineer and real estate broker John Ellis, attorney Trudi Loh, Compton police detective Michael Markey, telecommunications services and equipment salesman Ekbal "Nick" Quidwai, and dependency court investigator Ramaul Rush.

Winslow was born in Fresno and moved to Ventura County when he was about 5 years old, and has lived in Thousand Oaks about 10 years.

He still takes pride in the fact that at the age of 10 he was ranked second in the United States for running the mile in the Junior Olympics.

"I was undefeated for three years, I got to believe I could do anything I put my mind to." he said.

And he still participates in sports; last week he bicycled from Oregon back into town to raise money for charitable groups, pedaling an average of 200 miles a day.

The trek started with a "whole bunch of people" he said.

"The problem was that they wanted to stop every 50 miles," he said.  "I couldn't wait for those guys, I had things to do."...

Reprinted from the Daily News, April 23, 1995. 

Return to Index of Articles